Child tax credit & working tax credit / Funding

Are you entitled to any additional help with your childcare fees?

For any further information please call the Tax Credit helpline on 0845 300 3900 or visit

Childcare vouchers save tax and N.I.

If your employer operates a childcare voucher scheme, you can save National Insurance and Income Tax. By registering for your employer's scheme, up to £55 a week can be deducted from your salary and used to provide childcare vouchers for the same amount. This amount, which is deducted from your gross salary, is then exempt from National Insurance and Income Tax.

We accept vouchers from many providers including

·                    Accor Services

·                    Busy Bees

·                    care-4

·                    Sodexho PASS

If your employer uses a different provider we will liaise with you to make the necessary arrangements


Nursery Education Grant

The government provides funding for all three and four year old children who attend an early education setting. All children become eligible for this funding at the start of the term after their third birthday.


If your child is born between: 


1 April and 31 August

1 September following their third birthday until statutory school age

1 September and 31 December

1 January following their third birthday until statutory school age

1 January and 31 March

 1 April following their third birthday until statutory school age






The grant funds your child to attend the setting for 15 hours of education each week for 38 weeks per year. The way you wish to spread your funding can be as follows. Your 15 hours can be used across three 5 hour sessions or alternantively you can attend for a full day of 10 hours and a half day of 5 hours. Half sessions are from 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm with the full day being from 8am-6pm.

If your child attends two settings you can spread your funding entitlement across both settings. This can be discussed in line with your needs with a member of the mangement team.  Your child must be on the nursery register at the very start of the term to receive the funding for that term. 

Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)

What is Early Years Pupil Premium?

The early years pupil premium (EYPP) is additional funding for early years providers to improve outcomes for children by providing them with enhanced learning and development support. This means that for children from low income families accessing the Free Early Education Entitlement (FEEE), providers are entitled to receive additional funding of up to £300 per year. Providers should work in partnership with parents to carefully consider the learning and development needs of the child.

In order to benefit from this additional funding, we would encourage providers to check with parents accessing the FEEE whether they are on any of the benefits listed below, that are used to determine eligibility for free school meals. It is important to stress to parents that no other parents will know they have been assessed and it will not affect any other benefits they may be claiming as this is purely additional funding for providers to support children receiving the FEEE. 


  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance


  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance


  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999


  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit


  • Child Tax Credit (provided they're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)

  • Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit

  • Universal Credit      

2 year Funding

When you can start claiming

The date you can start claiming depends on your child’s birthday.


Child’s birthday When you can claim
1 January to 31 March The beginning of term on or after 1 April
1 April to 31 August The beginning of term on or after 1 September
1 September to 31 December The beginning of term on or after 1 January

Your 2-year-old can get free early education and childcare if you get one of the following:

o   Income Support

o   income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

o   income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

o   Universal Credit

o   tax credits and you have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax

o   the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

o   support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act

o   the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

A child can also get free early education and childcare if any of the following apply:

o   they’re looked after by a local council

o   they have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan

o   they get Disability Living Allowance

o   they’ve left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

Get more information about free childcare

You can get more information about free early education and childcare from your local council.

If you are unsure whether you qualify for 2 year funding this can be checked at the setting or local children's centre through Essex County Council fundng portal. Please contact the setting for further information.


View our Latest Ofsted Report
Click to Download our Latest Brochure
Click here to Contact Us
Design by